I think it’s a my-family thing though rather than regional. What can I say. My family is weird. Sure I’ll defend them to my grave, but they’re weird. And for those of you who asked, yes I say “bubbler” and “frappe” and “wicked”. Yes I may want to move the heck out of here but it will forever have a place in my heart <3
Anyway. Moving on.
To things I want to recap on. I’m going to do it bullet style because the last time I did a running post (or even a real post in general) was over a week ago and I’m 99.9342% sure that there’s no way I can make smooth transitions. And y’all will get the highlights…or the funny-lights because I’m sure that somethings aren’t exactly going to be true high points. At least not when they were happening!
- PHILADELPHIA was an absolute BLAST. That is, of course, once I got there. My bus ride took 8.5 hours because the driver decided to go through NYC during rush hour traffic. I was in the Bronx for 2 hours. But, once I got to my friend’s house I was a-okay for the rest of the weekend. There was lots (and I mean LOTS) of drinking. But some shopping and museum going and movie watching and gossiping/giggling. The coolest part was going to the Mutter Museum which, for those of you who aren’t going to click the Wiki link, is a medical museum located in the Center City area of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It contains a collection of medical oddities, anatomical and pathological specimens, wax models, and antique medical equipment (thanks wikipedia!). It was SO COOL. And did I mention the drinking? Because taking the train into the city that day, well, let’s just say I didn’t think it was going to happen. So of course that means I did not run one step. And that’s not sarcasm
- On Monday when I got back to Boston I ended up having dinner with my family due to the train schedule being silly for the holiday. I got a great 7 miler in my old stomping grounds that night, although my hometown has banned streetlights to save money (eyeroll) which I didn’t know about. Needless to say that the end of the run was a bit faster than the start. Oh, and I also karaoked the following song. Stone. Cold. Sober (because I was the driver that night). I think that’s pretty impressive.
- Despite not sleeping at all over the weekend as well as that Monday I still decided to tackle my Tuesday tempo workout. With varying success. I did, in fact, sleep in about an hour and a half later than usual. Didn’t change the results of the workout though. I guess that the workout ended up being a GMP one. Per usual at this point. The fast portion was 6.6 miles @ an average of 7:37 pace (2.2 @ 7:41, 2.2 @ 7:24, 2.2 @ 7:46). Just like last week the middle 2.2 was way faster than the first or third. Weird. And meh. At this point I’ve given up hope of having stellar threshold runs. I’ll just try to hold on until Boston.
- The same thing goes for the long runs. I mean, they are definitely *not* going poorly. Especially since yesterday’s 21 miles @ 8:50 pace is any indication. I did do the typical long run fade in the middle miles (which is funny because with my tempos/GMP it’s the opposite: see above) but the last mile was run in 8:20 so I’m happy. If I can finish the marathon strong I’ll be happy.
- My recovery workouts have been going well too. They’ve been faster than I expect which, under normal circumstances, would be great. But given how I’m not over-whelmed with joy over my hard workouts I kind of look at my faster easy paces a little skeptically. Not that I’m upset with how my tempos/GMP/LR/intervals have been going but sometimes I feel like I’m not *really* in training. I don’t know if that makes sense but it does in my head. So there.
- Maybe this will light a fire under my butt in my quality workouts: YAY for my new Boston confirmation with updated (WR) time coming in the mail this week.
And with that I’m about to finish up my work week and go for a nice recovery run in the pouring rain. Hopefully everyone has a fun-filled weekend! I’m definitely planning on taking it a bit easy after my weekend in Philly last week. I am going to see a friend perform in a play tonight and then hopefully grab a drink after. And then do some rockclimbing, maybe tomorrow. Very low-key. Fingers crossed.