Since yesterday was a really hard interval workout then today must be recovery day! I definitely do not look forward to these days, doubly so if my legs aren’t feeling the effects of the workout yet (as was the case last night) but these days are important and cannot be ignored.
Or at least my legs won’t let me ignore them. The first few miles were excruciatingly slow. But I’ve made a pact with myself to be non-judgmental about recovery pace. Sure I’d love to be knocking out faster miles and feel more bamf but I’ve got to let body just circulate blood in an easy manner.
I guess it would be easier to do if it hadn’t been 14* because despite what I felt at first 14* is 14* and running slow =/= warmth. I kind of freaked myself out when I read “14* but feels like -1” but it actually didn’t feel bad at all. I even thought that to myself when I stepped out the door. I totally have been spoiling myself with running in the late morning because I’ve desensitized my mind to “cold” temps. That’s what I get though when I get up to run as the sun is rising and hasn’t yet warmed the Earth.
By the end of the run I was cruising at a faster speed and, to me, that’s when I know a recovery run is good to be over: when the crappy feelings in your legs subsides and you start to feel good. Granted that’s the last possible moment that you really want to stop but hey: you do what you gotta do [recovery runs] so you can do what you wanna do [kick major ass at Boston].
Then when the gym opened up at noon (stupid break schedule) I hit up the weights and did my full body lifting. I added in the legs section some deadlifts because I believe, and correct me if I’m wrong you super smarty-artys, these target the hamstrings and I don’t have a hamstring-focused lift for my legs currently. I don’t like I have correct form on it as my lower back is a bit sore but that could just mean that I’m using back muscles that I haven’t used before. It’s not pain at all which is why I don’t think it’s going to cause an injury.
Speaking of injury (and NO I’m not injured) my right achilles tendon is feeling “crunchy”. Like there’s gunk or something in there. Not sore but more like stiff and cranky. I first noticed it on Monday night and it doesn’t bother me at all when I’m running. Mostly when I’m sitting around and flexing my ankle or walking up/down stairs (mostly down though). Definitely going to have to keep an eye on it. I’m not sure what the dealy is with it but obviously I don’t want a little nagging thing to turn into something serious.
AND I got a beautiful blogger award from both Erika and Mary. It’s actually the second time I’ve done this but the last time was awhile ago so I’ll play again. Plus I like to talk about myself. Just a little bit 😛
So the deal is that I tell you 7 things about me that you don’t already know about me (hopefully). The I tag 7 of you to do the same. Ready? BREAK!
- I’m the oldest of 6 kids. All from the same marriage (so no step or half sibs). All our names begin with the letter K
- While I am addicted to many shows LOST is the only one where I am left with my mouth open going “WTF?!” I actually watched the first 5 seasons last spring on DVD so this season is going to be rough having to wait a week between episodes.
- I ran the Providence Marathon in May 2009 as my debut marathon and BQ’d. And while you may have known that you probably didn’t know was that I did it 100% alone. No family or friends chose to support me. But I still had lots of fun. Even if this picture makes me look like I’m dying.
- I only get sick once a year but when I do it knocks me out for a week.
- I have a candelabra in my window and I call it my menorah. No I am not Jewish and no it does not have 7 lights. Only 5, all of which have different colored light bulbs.
- When I get obsessed with a song I will hunt for it on radio stations until I hear it. And then I’ll go hunting again.
- The Biggest Loser is the only reality show I watch. And I need to go watch last night’s episode pronto! I ❤ Trainer Bob
And while I’m supposed to tag YOU I suspect that many of you have already been tagged (and actually I know that for a fact heh). But I still want to spread the love so if you haven’t yet GO!! I say you are a beautiful blogger 🙂