Hey all! Another busy Friday for me. Do I ever get a break?! This weekend is going to be all about the homework. It feels overwhelming but — deep breathe — I know it’ll all get done. How? Good question. But it will. Small steps. So clearly I am being productive by blogging 😉
Nothing too exciting running wise here. Got in a very nice recovery run this morning and followed it up with some afternoon lifting. The pacing of the run was typical: start of shuffling and then after loosening up the legs move into a more fluid form. Another reason I like morning running is that no one I know is awake on campus to see me doing the “granny shuffle” as i start these runs. So my ego gets to stay relatively intact 🙂
My knee is feeling somewhat better today. Definitely still bruised and it’s red/purple. I wish I could remember what I banged it into!! So annoying but the more I think about it I could see it being a lifting related bruise. I often bang my knees with the weights inadvertently. Nothing really bad but I’m a klutz haha. I’m also thinking it could be a result of the way I sit in my desk chair: with that leg under me. I’ve always noticed that it hurts my knee when I get up and I think that it might be a cause of the pain that’s there. I’m not ruling out a running injury although the color of my knee suggests that’s unlikely.
I figured that since today is about 5 weeks into the New Year I’d take a moment and reflect on the goals I set for myself like I did a week into the year. I think it’s very useful to frequently remind myself of them so that I don’t keep them on the back burner:
- Drink more water Ehhhhh. I do drink a liter of water, a liter of milk and some diet coke with lime everyday so I am staying hydrated but most of what I drink is in the afternoon and night. This makes my sleep interrupted because I have to pee. All. The. Time. At. Night.
- Get faster aka do more speed training. Semi-Check. I still have been doing the 2x a week speed that my plan calls for but I feel stagnant a bit. I mean, yes I am fast, and my tempos have been rocking but I think I need a race to truly give me a sense of where I stand with this one. I’m sure I am faster (how could I not with the killer speed stuff I’ve been doing?) but I need a good check-in and hopefully I can find a race in the next few weeks.
- Get stronger aka do more lifting. Check. Since my last check-in I’ve been lifting 3x a week and still LOVE it. I definitely love the way my muscles look when I keep lifting regularly and I know that the reason I’m able to hit quality workouts is because my muscles are strong.
- XT more Kind of Check? I’ve incorporated ellipticalling into my routine but not as a replacement for running. More as a supplementary was to do a shake-out run without actually running.
- Stretch more Maybe. I’ve been inconsistent with this one. There are periods of a week or so where I am religious about stretching and then periods of time where it won’t happen. So better than last check-in where I had yet to begin a routine but definitely room for improvement.
- Respect rest day FAIL. Nope.
- Listen to body Ehhhh Check. Last week I let the streak go because my body just wasn’t feeling it and I’d like to think that it let me be a little less obsessive with the miles. I am really good at listening to my body when it comes to pacing and I’m a lot less judgmental about that. Which is a HUGE victory.
- Wear sunscreen FAIL. And I’m just going to let what I wrote last month stay: “Granted the sun hasn’t been out that much in the past 10 days or so when I made these goals but I need to remind myself that even though it’s WINTER the sun is just as bright and dangerous. In the vein of skin care I have made a dermatologist appointment to get some of my suspicious moles checked out.”
So I’ve actually improved over the past 4 weeks since I last checked in. Obviously room for improvement but what fun would life be if all your goals immediately came to you? I like a challenge!
Okey-dokey. Going to go try to do some work before heading into the city tonight to catch a movie with a friend. No idea what we’re seeing but that’s okay because he has free passes. And since I’m not spending my own moolah I don’t have to be picky haha
And check out this giveaway over with ErikaH