So I’m not going to make you wait to find out which one was the lie from yesterday’s post. Alright maybe I will, but I want to explain them and maybe tell a story if applicable. No one guessed it right though. If you don’t care then just scroll down and I’ll talk about my run today. 😉
- I flirted with wanting to be a writer when I was little and even wrote a book on StoryBookWeaver to send to a publisher (never got sent though) Truth. In fact that computer software was soooo special to me. Unfortunately it did nothing to help me improve my storytelling abilities.
- I went through a huge party girl phase in high school and can’t really remember parts of my sophomore spring and junior fall Truth. I can honestly say that I showed up to my math final sophomore year high (among other things that spring). Not my proudest moment let me tell you BUT I no longer have a desire to party and get out of control now the way most of my peers do. Luckily it never was really out of control (like some of my friends who now have issues with the stuff) and I was able to keep my life together. No horror stories here.
- I failed all my high school physics exams. Funny because I’m a physics major and tutor now Truth. Lots of people thought this one was the lie. But I never passed (well I define pass as >C) any of the exams. I did end up passing the course by the end of the year (so maybe the statement was deceptive) but that was mostly due to getting 100% help on labs and homework from my teacher. Still, I was one of the “mayors of F city” as my teacher jokingly told me and a couple other students
- When I was little I fell and smashed my mouth on a plastic bin which pushed my two front teeth up and back into my gums. Luckily I was still young enough that it didn’t affect my adult teeth and I have a near perfect smile. LIE. This actually happened to my youngest sister, although she was old enough that her adult teeth were also in her gums and they are dented a bit from the impact. It was very scary to watch happen.
- Also on an injury note, my brother (who BTW is 10 years younger than me) threw a golf club at me and broke my nose. I think it looks slightly crooked but people tell me that they wouldn’t have noticed in I hadn’t told them. Truth. Not much to say about it except I remember my mom telling me that if necessary insurance would cover plastic surgery. Gee thanks, what a nice thing to say to a teenager mom!
- I’ve only been out of the country once (and it was France not anything easy like Canada or Mexico), I’ve never been off the East Coast, and I’ve been out of NE only 4 times. Truth. I’m definitely not well traveled. I’ve been to France (senior year homestay) once, FL twice, DC once, VA beach once and NY twice. Something I want to do after graduating is travel if I can afford it.
- I was convinced I was going to be an Olympic Gold Medalist in swimming and had mock Olympics every summer in the pond I live on when I was a young’un Truth. The funny thing is that I wasn’t even on a swim team until I was 12. So I’m not quite sure why I thought I was going to win the gold. That’s not to say I was a bad swimmer or anything I just had absolutely no experience with anything competitive at that point in my life!
So there you have it. I actually really liked reminiscing about the past and laughing about it. And I encourage you to do the same! Consider yourself tagged 🙂
Now onto today. I checked the weather forecast last night for this morning and it said “snow” so I figured I can handle snow. It’s 10000x not as bad as rain. Now guess what I woke up to this morning? Well it wasn’t exactly pouring out but the skies looked unfriendly so with the memory of last Wednesday’s practically hypothermia inducing run I decided to hit the good old treadmill. I simply didn’t want to get caught in anything.
Not quite sure I made the right call because every time I looked out the window in the gym it wasn’t raining. Plus by the time I finished my run the sun was peaking out (WHY HELLO THERE!). Oh well, I got a great run in and it was very windy out so I know that I wouldn’t have had a productive run. And with T-49 days (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I want the majority of my runs to be productive. No sense in getting myself into a mental snit if I can help it. So I guess I did make the right call after all.
I think I have the opposite problem than most people who run on the treadmill: I tend to run faster and get tempted into more miles than I would outdoors. Yes I am a freak. I think part of it is that I get lulled into my rhythm and before I know it the planned workout is over but I still want more!
This was totally the case today. Only had 10 planned but since I was running faster than my typical Monday run (8:40 vs 9:40) I tacked on an extra 2.1 miles and ran 12.1 in 105 minutes. And I got to watch a really good special on the History Channel about Andrew Jackson (I ❤ learning!). Very interesting man and it made the time fly by. And I’m okay with going faster than normal because Monday is “easy” vs “recovery”. I did think about how this might impact tomorrow’s intervals but I’m okay with it. I was never feeling like the pace was too much or anything so I doubt I’ll crash and burn in the intervals (*knocksonwood*)
I did make up for the treadmill-ness this morning because the weather did turn out much lovelier than predicted and I chose to do both my warm up and down outside for my lifting. It’s funny but I’ve noticed that my warm downs, when they’re outside, mimic the exact pace my early AM runs are. I thought that since the TM is dictating pace that this wouldn’t be the case today but sure enough my body was primed to go a bit faster. Interesting. Even in the dreaded wind.
The lifting was a bit…well I was going to type “eh” but that doesn’t really describe it very well because it wasn’t bad. Nor was it outstanding. I forget who suggested this in a comment last week but as Boston draws closer my focus should be more on maintaining the strength I have now. So no upping weights or anything like that. I guess that’s going to mean some boring lifting because at this point in the training I don’t want to fiddle around with stuff too much. That’s not to say the workouts are going to be phoned in but I don’t think I’ll be excited about them from now until after Boston. I’m totally cool with that though because…BOSTON. Duh.
Oh and Happy March. Did you remember to say “Rabbit Rabbit” ? I did 🙂 So today = Monday March 1st = new week AND new month. Awesome. Plus it means that spring is, oh, less than 3 weeks away (March 20th baby!). Sure we may have snow until April but it’s all about the mentality. Hopefully not. In like a lion (storms last night)…out like a lamb? Spring is almost here!!
And I did have a monthly recap for February started but I wasn’t on top of my game this month in terms of recording / calculating things weekly so it might be another day or two simply because I don’t have time to sit down and do the math. But rest assured that I will be posting it, likely on Wednesday. I think February was a big month so I’m pretty excited to see what the numbers say.