First off: No I’m not injured (later in the post is an explanation)
Secondly: I didn’t mean for this to be a long post. Oops. It’s Friday too and I don’t think many people check / read blogs on the weekends (I know my stats tend to drop Friday til Sunday)
Thirdly: Thanks for your insights onto my tempo runs. I’m glad it makes you guys excited to “hear” that I’m progressing in my training. To answer a few questions posed:
- My current 10k pr pace is ~7:13.
- I think it’s silly to run a 7.6 mile tempo at that 10k pace. A tempo is not a race. BUT…
- …Yes I think I can push the pace for both 10k races AND tempo. As evidenced by my TM tempos.
- I’ve come around to the idea that different tempo lengths can mean variations on tempo pace. If I was running only 4 miles for the tempo I would have expected
- I think my HR was so low at the end (when I take my HR) is because I’ve had 7.6 miles to let my heart adjust. If I were to take it earlier in the run I’d bet it would be higher. And that’s not a me exclusive thing. I’d bet that your ending HR is lower than a mid-tempo HR too.
Okay so I ended up finishing my work pretty early last night. Yahoo! Around 2100: just in time for The Office! I didn’t think last night was all that funny, sure there were moments but there have been better ones.
Unfortunately even though I was done with my work most of my friends have/had already gone home for spring break. I am that rare senior / upperclassman who has class on Friday. Not that I’m truly complaining: it’s Spanish and I absolutely LOVE the class. But it’s a bummer because the one Thursday that I feel I really could have gone out and not had to think about work is the one Thursday that no one is around. Oh the irony! I would have thought that people would have wanted to go all out partying the Thursday before break. But I guess that everyone just wanted to get the hell off campus haha.
Not me! Even though I had a morning class I figured I’d stick around and head home after dinner. Because I had so much work to do this week my room is a MESS, I have laundry to do (doing now in fact) and I am in the process of packing for the week now. I would stay on campus but the dining hall is closed all week and I’m not spending $$ to feed myself. At least when I go home my mom helps me out a bit so I’m not spending all my money on food.
Onto the running. So just to recap this week: beautiful weather = more miles than “normal”. (I admit that my normal is really high! I just want to point out that I realize I’m running a lot and training at a huge level. I read Sarah’s post this morning about comparing ourselves to others and realized I’m so guilty of it. So I just want to emphasize that what I’m doing is right for me and that what you’re doing is right for you. I don’t think enough bloggers say that. I know when I read particular blogs I can walk away feeling bad. So don’t: you’re perfect the way you are 🙂 )
How many more? Well I’m pretty sure that 5 days into my running week has me about 13 or 14 miles more than I had this time last week. Wowza. Granted some of those have come because I’ve changed the “warm down” title after my lifting to “second run” but still. That’s more miles in the logbook.
But I guess the point of me declaring that is this: my body doesn’t feel any worse for the wear. I’m very excited by this. My recovery runs this week have fallen between 9:25 – 9:40. Sure that may be slow to some of you but for me it’s perfect recovery. Surprising because I’ve felt that I’ve given my quality sessions my all as well. I guess that most people (myself included) would think that by now I should be feeling run down. And I am kind of, but I can’t tell if it’s the training or the school stress that’s the bigger cause. I feel pretty worn but I’ve felt like this before when I was wasn’t running so much as it was school related. I guess we’ll see when I don’t have any school stress this upcoming week (for once I have NO work to bring home with me. I think it’s well deserved though)
So more miles + more intensity = feeling good = feeling confident. Exactly what I need seeing that Boston is only 38 days away (!!!)
Not everything is all bright. I mean, I’m not injured but I titled my post the way I did because my calves are very tight today. Like I can feel them when I’m sitting down. I think it has to do with the tempo I ran yesterday, the extra miles, the OUTDOOR intervals. A culmination of things really. I’ve been stretching and doing all the stuff I want but man are they tight. I really want my massage today but I guess I can wait until Monday 🙂
I feel like I should put a “shin update” out there because I’ve gotten a couple questions about it. I’ve been really hesitant to mention it again after getting some negative feedback when I talk about it. I think that lots of people here don’t want to see me get hurt and, while I appreciate that, I feel like what I’ve written about the shin gets misconstrued.
BUT seeing as how I love you guys ( 🙂 ) I’ll say that it’s not any worse at the moment. Not really better per se but since it’s never been any sort of real problem that doesn’t really mean much. After a really hard effort I can feel my shin muscles more but it’s NOT PAIN and it’s NOT INJURY. Hahaha. I have my sports med appointment on Monday so I’ll know more then. I will say that I’m worried that it’s an injury but the signs my body is giving me is that right now it’s not. I just want to do everything I can to keep it that way.
So before I go grab my laundry (because I figure if I’m being charged laundry in my tuition payments I’m going to damn well wash my clothes here rather than at home!) : just to recap today (because I rambled hardcore above!):
- AM: recovery run @ 9:40. My shins were tight and never really wanted to loosen up all the way. But everything else felt good and, while 9:40 isn’t lightning speed, I felt good and not dragging the whole time. It was a bit raw out but it actually felt a little bit good. But I might be a masochist 🙂
- PM: Full Body Lift: I think that I’m going to start hating lifting. Sure I’ve never found it to be pleasant but since I’m not working on getting stronger (the emphasis is on maintaining now) I’m just going to be bored. I’m also wondering when I should cut it out completely. During the taper? Just during marathon week? Do I cut down from 3 to 2 or 1 sessions at some point?
- PM: Easy “second run”. I think this will be the last time this happens though. The weather is suppose to be not-as-nice as it was this week and I don’t want to do anything stupid. Sure it’s Monster Month and sure I’m feeling strong during these post-lifting runs butttttt….well but nothing really. I just don’t think I’ll have the time after break to keep doing them. Priorities and school > running. Well at least school > running double hahah!
Hope everyone is enjoying their Fridays! And send some good weather vibes my way: it’s looking like it’s going to be RAIN tomorrow. Sure I know I was spoiled this week with the good weather but I don’t want to move my LR to the TM. Yeah I know I won’t melt in the rain, and I guess it depends on how heavy the rain is…but I just don’t wanna 😛
Check out the giveaway from ErikaH