Ummmm pretty basically my life is one big ball of overwhelming stress.
- MCAT. 2 weeks. In two weeks from now I will hopefully be drinking on the pond feeling good about my test. Until then, of course, it’s a little bit unnerving to feel like the entire future I want could hinge on this test. There have been some high points: I feel better about certain topics that have traditionally given me trouble (thank you library! But no thank you old creepy men who stare at me!) but that by no means makes me feel like I’m totally prepared. I just want the stupid thing done and over with.
- Moving. 2 weeks plus one day. Yes that’s right: I am moving the day after I take my test. Ugh. Poor planning on my part maybe. I had originally hoped to move some of my stuff down this week or early next week but it just doesn’t look like it’s going to happen due to MCAT prep and other life stuff. Since I’m just moving out of my mom’s house it’s not the end of the world to live bare-bones for a bit but still. Not exactly ideal.
- Medical School Application. Because I still haven’t submitted it yet. I need to re-work my essay which I haven’t had time for yet. Nor have I really figured out how I’m going to pay for it, which adds stress of itself.
- Not enough hours in the day. I mean, I’ve been using the hours productively (which isn’t technically stressful) but I’d love it if I could have 2 (or 10) more. Yeah so maybe a lame bullet point but I cannot just leave three things there. Lucky number 4 and all 🙂
Had enough complaining yet? Me too. I really really try to not complain (and hopefully that does come across in my posts) but sometimes it feels good to just vent. Also: I hate how the saying “when it rain it pours” is true. Also true? deep breathing = cure to being upset. I’m don’t easily get upset so when I do I never know how to calm down. But DEEP BREATHING. Seriously. It works.That said, here are three things that have been making me happy lately and, while they might be in vain, have attempted to lower my stress level.
- Running. Duh. I feel like I haven’t been talking about my running lately because stress is so large that it’s taking over my mind and all my runs have been similar. But my runs have been feeling really good lately. Sure, today I kind of slogged through 8 miles but can it really be called slogging when the average pace is 8:25? I’m loving it. Yesterday was a good 8 miles at 8:30 pace so I’ve been really pumped about it. Thanks for all your comments about racing. I still know I’m not going to commit to anything now but it’s nice to know that you guys think I could rock a race 🙂 AND I love the suggestions of loosely following a plan so I can get rid of that monotony feeling I have currently.
- Reading for FUN. Slash making sure the hour or so before my head hits the pillow is enjoyable. I’ve been making a commitment to reading chapters from a good book before I go to bed every night. Sure it’s only 20 or 30 minutes or so, cutting into my sleeping time, but I love to read. So it’s nice to be able to get lost in a story line.
- Boston Medical. Which is on tonight 🙂 I’ve been absolutely fascinated with the show! And no, I don’t think it’s because I want to be a doctor although I’m sure that’s part of it. One of my friends, who is studying interior design, loves it too. Always a plus to have some chica time. Anyhoo, hopefully my *last* MCAT class tonight doesn’t run late so I can get home in time to watch the whole thing. I’ve had to miss the beginnings sometimes and I hate missing the beginnings of shows.
- And I know this is supposed to be THREE things but I need to put in a 4th (again):
And it’s not just this song but I’ve been really letting music lift my mood lately. Lacey made me a mix CD that I’ve been listening too on repeat and other people have been “making” me listen to music I otherwise wouldn’t have. But it works: I put on a good song and for 4ish minutes my thoughts are NOT on stress.
And my friend, who I stayed with in Philly, put up her pics on FB so I have more to share. Sooooo here’s another. And I’m going to dole them out slowly because I want to keep you guys coming back for more. Unless you’re my FB friend. Then you’ve likely stalked my pictures already and are bored with them haha.
P.S. If you’re not on my blogroll but want to be: let me know! I’m terrible at updating it when I find a new blog I love reading!