Okay so it’s been awhile. I know. But last weekend I decided to stray again into being domesticated. And I’ve decided to share. Mostly because I remembered to take pictures and partly because Thanksgiving is on Thursday and I’ve decided to bless my family with only my beautiful face.
AKA I will not have any sort of Thanksgiving dish to share with you post-Thanksgiving. Or at least anything that I’ve created. So goes the plan although I will lay out the disclaimer that I could get roped into something. After all I’m typing this out on Sunday night (who knows when I’ll post it though!) and plans can change. Fingers crossed all I have to do is show up for the meal 😉
I have no idea where this recipe is from, as I got it from a co-worker. But it’s really good. Considering that I HATE pasta (oops I’m a runner?) I think that it means the recipe is good.
Greek Vegetable Pasta (this is vegetarian for all you veggie lovers out there)
- 8 oz bowtie pasta
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup butter (or margarine 😉 )
- 1 lb zuccini and/or yellow squash (I used a mix of the two) halved lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/4″ thick slices (Orrrrrrrr I just chopped up ~4 cups worth of the stuff and didn’t worry about presentation)
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 2 gloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried Greek seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 can (~15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbs. capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbs. fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 oz feta cheese (roughly 1 cup) (I kept this on the side to add in as people wanted)
- Cook pasta and drain reserving ~1/2 cup of the cooking water
- Grate 1 tsp. zest and squeeze 2 tbs. lemon juice from the lemon, reserve separately
- In a large nonstick skillet pan, melt butter over medium high heat
- Add zucchini and squash, onion, garlic, seasoning, salt and pepper
- Cook and stir occasionally until the vegetables softened (this took ~5-7 minutes)
- Add chickpeas, capers, pasta, lemon juice and pasta water. Cook this until heated and then remove from the heat
- Stir in the mint and the zest
- Sprinkle with cheese if desired
As far as running went today, well it didn’t. These allergies / this cold (I’m not sure which) is bothering me again. I think it’s allergies as I couldn’t sleep last night due to post-nasal drip and ONE sinus being congested. And I have a cough that isn’t dry but I can’t seem to cough anything up. Ah well. I’m sure y’all really wanted to know all my sickly woes. Although when my alarm went off at 5am I (audibly I think) said “EFF THIS” and slept for a little more. Even if this isn’t a cold the few extra hours of sleep won’t be a bad thing especially after I got as close to a tempo/GMP run as ever yesterday
But my miles are going to have to come after work (if at all. I’m not too worried because it’s taper time). It was such a lovely morning (albeit a bit windy) that I’m kind of kicking myself for not getting out there earlier. But hopefully it’s still nice out when I get out there late. Since it’s the day before Thanksgiving
I’m hoping that I can get out of the office early to run The boss just called and said we all had to leave here at 1300. Yippee! before seeing “A Christmas Carol” tonight which I’m really excited about.
Busy day (complete with tiara again) but fingers crossed I get a short recovery run in there!
Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving! Good luck to all in Turkey Trots and whatever else people call them. My brother asked to run one with me and I told him “There is no way I’m getting embarrassed on Thanksgiving by my younger brother” (he’s 14). So my game plan is to do the 13-15 mile “long run” (golly gee how 15 miles seems soooo not like a long run!) and then head over to my mom’s house for some good eats. And, like I mentioned above, not prepared by me.
And, of course, I want to watch the Pats (duh) while catching some of the Macy’s parade and Charlie Brown. Hey, when you live without cable (or actual television at all) then you binge at your mom’s house. Duh.
I was going to put a serious Charlie Brown picture up buttttt obviously this was cooler to me. I do ❤ Charlie though.