I’ll never forget when I told one of the women I work with:
ME: Hey! Guess where I’m going in two weeks.
Friend: (with a weary expression): Texas?
Friend: (with same expression): Why would you want to go to Texas?
ME: Because it’s AWESOME. And I’m running a MARATHON there.
Can you tell how excited I was? Well I still am. And I’m quite likely high above the skies. Or in an airport in Philly depending on when you’re reading this as I’ve scheduled this sucker for my layover, I think. But whatever. It’s FRIDAY. Which means I’m on my way to DALLAS.
And I’m on my way to run a MARATHON. This will be my 3rd marathon. And my 3rd state in doing so. Cool beans.
I’m wicked excited to be finally on my way. To meet up with some really cool people, both new and old friends. To finally meet my running sistaaaaaaaaaaa. I’m going to a RW Marathon Dailies dinner tonight which will be great. I owe those peeps so much that it’ll be amazing to tell them in person!!
Before I risk getting all teary eyed, I’m going to share the muffin recipe that I promised earlier this week. ENJOY!
Apple Cinnamon could quite possibly be my favorite flavor combo in the world. I mean, I love others but this one I never get sick of.
This week, during my taper aka RACE WEEK, when I was not getting texts from my friend telling me to not run, I decided that it would be a good time to catch up on my reading (I checked out several good books from the libs before Thanksgiving for this reason) as well as baking. I went on a kick at the end of October. As in I baked two things. In November I baked once, well twice if you count this recipe even though I’m posting it in December as I wanted to be able to put something up while I’m away.
Anyway, since I love Apples and Cinnamon and I love things that are easy to both cook/bake AND eat I decided to make muffins as I really couldn’t think of a good way to incorporate Apples and Cinnamon into cookies. I guess I could have made cupcakes but aren’t muffins pretty much cupcakes?
So I googled “Easy Apple Cinnamon Muffins” and this recipe popped out. I copied and pasted the ingredients and directions from the AllRecipes site I took it from, my changes are italicized although I didn’t make many changes.
I debated taking the lazy man’s way out and using a box. But I actually had all the ingredients and would have had to go out and buy a box.
Staying in semi-warm apartment with fully stocked (or at least for this recipe) pantry > Going out in the cold for easy baking.
Oops. Again I forgot to take a picture until most of them were gone
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 apples – peeled, cored and chopped (we chopped them very finely)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed (I think you should know by now I use margarine)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease six muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners. (we used muffin liners and the oven was at 425*F. This recipe is for 6 jumbo muffins or 12 regular muffins. I chose 12 regular muffins.)
- Stir together 1 1/2 cup flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt, baking powder and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix in oil, egg and milk. Fold in apples. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling to the top of the cup.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix together with fork and sprinkle (liberally) over unbaked muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean. (it took closer to 30 considering my oven and recipes don’t see eye to eye with baking time)
So there you go 🙂
I kind of wish I had made lots of extra to take on the plane rides with me. I’m sure I could use all the extra carbs for my leg-os right now.
Enjoy the start to the weekend y’all. I’m pretty sure mine is going to be really fun, no matter what happens on Sunday.